Nansen-in was a Tendai Buddhist temple in Kagoshima, a branch temple of Kan'ei-ji, established in 1710 by Shimazu Yoshitaka. The temple served as the fure-gashira for Satsuma, Ôsumi, and Hyûga provinces, communicating messages from Enryaku-ji or Kan'ei-ji to all other Tendai temples in that region.
The spirits of the first five Tokugawa shoguns were enshrined there, in a Tôshôgû shrine established at the same time. The temple & shrine were regularly visited by Ryukyuan officials visiting or temporarily resident in Kagoshima.
- Miyagi Eishô 宮城栄昌, Ryûkyû shisha no Edo nobori 琉球使者の江戸上り, Tokyo: Daiichi Shobô (1982), 81.
- Ono Masako, Tomita Chinatsu, Kanna Keiko, Taguchi Megumi, "Shiryô shôkai Kishi Akimasa bunko Satsuyû kikô," Shiryôhenshûshitsu kiyô 31 (2006), 237.