From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Kan'ei 14 (寛永十四年)
Timeline of 1637
- 1637/8/15 Reconstruction is begun on the tenshu and residential enclosures at Edo castle.
- 1637/10/25 Shimabara Rebellion: Christian peasant uprising begins in Shimabara and the Amakusa Islands, near Nagasaki, continuing until the 2nd month of the following year.
Other Events of 1637
- A Korean embassy travels to Edo and to Nikkô Tôshôgû.
- Korea sends its last mission to Ming Dynasty Beijing.
- Korea is conquered by the Qing Dynasty, and is forced to sign a treaty agreeing to pay tribute to the Qing. King Injo receives investiture from Hong Taiji.
- Matsumae castle burns down. It is rebuilt two years later.
- Poll taxes are first collected in the Yaeyama and Miyako Islands.
- Shogunate begins using nengô (Japanese era names) in correspondence with Korea.
Births and Deaths
- 1637/11/16 Emperor Go-Sai is born (d. 1685).
- Hon'ami Kôetsu dies (b. 1588).
- Honda Masazumi dies (b. 1566).
- Kinoshita Toshifusa dies (b. 1573).
- Matsura Takanobu dies (b. 1591).
- Niwa Nagashige dies (b. 1571).