From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Tenmei 9 (天明九年) / Kansei 1 (寛政元年)
Timeline of 1789
- 1789/1 Tay Son Rebellion: forces of Nguyen Van Hung drive Le Chieu Thong and the Qing Dynasty forces supporting him, out of Vietnam. This marks the end of the Le Dynasty, and the end of this one of Emperor Qianlong's Ten Great Campaigns.
- 1789/1/25 The Kansei era begins.
- 1789/3/18 Shiba Kôkan arrives home in Edo, from Nagasaki.
- 1789/5 Tay Son Rebellion ends with Nguyen victory. Nguyen Qiang Binh is officially recognized and invested by the Qing court as King of Annam.
- 1789/7 The shogunate arrests several thousand illegal prostitutes in Edo, Osaka, and Kyoto. Those arrested in Edo were either sent to the Yoshiwara, or to the rural areas.
Other Events of 1789
- Kunashiri-Menashi Rebellion - Ainu fishermen rebel in northeastern Ezo, in the largest conflict between Ainu and Japanese since Shakushain's Revolt in 1669.
- Kabuki actor Onoe Kikugorô III makes his stage debut at the age of 4, under the name Onoe Eizaburô.
- Title Incident (songô jiken) - Emperor Kôkaku names his father "retired emperor" without Tokugawa approval. Matsudaira Sadanobu orders severe punishments to court nobles involved.
Births and Deaths
- Kibyôshi writer Koikawa Harumachi dies (b. 1744).
- Miura Baien dies (b. 1723).
- Yamauchi Toyochika, lord of Tosa han, dies.
- Poet Yanagawa Seigan is born (d. 1858).