From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Kyôwa 4 (享和四年) / Bunka 1 (文化元年)
Timeline of 1804
- 1804/9 Russian Nikolai Rezanov arrives at Nagasaki seeking to trade. He is refused and sent away the following year.
- 1804/11/24 The Nagasaki bugyô determines Rezanov's ship to be nonthreatening, and issues permission to troops from Fukuoka han, guarding the harbor, to return to their home province.
Other Events of 1804
- The book Ehon Taikôki is banned, and a prohibition is placed on naming in prints, or identifying by mon, any high-ranking samurai who lived since the Tenshô era (1573-1592).
- Kyuai Zuihitsu, the travelogue of Momoi Tou, is published posthumously.
- Megumi Kenka Incident - A fight breaks out between firefighters and sumo wrestlers in the vicinity of the Shiba Daimon.
- Shô Sei is succeeded as king of the Ryûkyû Kingdom by Shô Kô.
- The White Lotus Rebellion in China, which began in 1796, comes to an end.
Births and Deaths
- 1804/2/19 Manabe Akikatsu is born (d. 1884).
- Kongô Ujitada dies.
- King Shô Sei of the Ryûkyû Kingdom dies (b. 1800).
- Torii clan samurai Torii Yôzô is born (d. 1874).