From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Manji 3 (万治三年)
Timeline of 1660
- 1660/1 The Morita-za kabuki theatre is founded, bringing the number of licensed theatres in the city to four, its maximum in the Edo period.
- 1660/1/16 Morita-za burns down.
- 1660/2/23 Bakufu issues fire prevention architecture law.
- 1660/5 Morita-za, rebuilt, is reopened.
- 1660/6/18 A big fire in Osaka caused by lightning to an ammo in Osaka castle.
- 1660/7/9 Retainers and relatives of the Date clan petition the shogunate to force the retirement of Date Tsunamune, who would be succeeded by his son Date Tsunamura.
- 1660/7/18 Date Tsunamune is forced to abdicate as daimyô of Sendai han in favor of his two-year-old son Date Tsunamura.
- 1660/9/14 Chôshû han establishes "33-Article Family Law" (Toke seihô jôjô 33-ka-jô).
Other Events of 1660
- The Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Ryûkyû, Prince Nakagusuku (the future King Shô Tei), visits Kagoshima, setting a precedent which will continue to be observed until 1773.
- Shuri castle is destroyed by fire.
Births and Deaths