The temple features an Ebisu-dô (Ebisu Hall) which is counted among the Seven Lucky Gods of Kamakura. The Ebisu-dô was originally built on this site as part of a Tendai Buddhist temple established in the late 12th century by Minamoto no Yoritomo, in order to defend Kamakura to the unlucky northeastern direction. Nichiren himself stayed here for a time in 1274, using it as a base from which to preach his teachings, following his return from exile on Sado Island.
- "Hongakuji." Digital Daijisen デジタル大辞泉. Shogakukan, Inc.
- "Hongakuji." Kamakura-Burabura.com 鎌倉ぶらぶら.
- Plaques and signs on-site.