From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Bunka 6 (文化六年)
Timeline of 1809
- 1809/2/21 The house arrest of Saga han daimyô Nabeshima Narinao, which began several months earlier, is ended.
- 1809/5/20 A system of communicating alarm, and rallying troops, using temple bells, is tested in Nagasaki. It proves ineffective, and is abandoned soon afterwards.
Other Events of 1809
- Jan Cock Blomhof becomes opperhoofd in Dejima.
- Fukuoka han constructs five new gun batteries for the defense of Nagasaki harbor.
- A live gibbon is brought to Japan for the first time.
- An envoy from Korea is instructed, in Tsushima, that the next formal Korean embassy should be received in Tsushima, rather than traveling to Edo.
- Publication of "Shank's Mare" (Tôkaidô hizakurige) by Jippensha Ikku, is completed (begun 1802).
- The shogunate establishes a network of fire signals located atop mountains, which could be lit to signal Edo in the event of the incursion of a foreign ship into Nagasaki harbor. The system is never used.
Births and Deaths
- Rutherford Alcock is born (d. 1897).
- Charles Darwin is born (d. 1882).
- Rangaku scholar Katsuragawa Hôshû dies (b. 1756).
- Negishi Yûzan of the Shinsengumi is born (d. 1890).
- Shimazu Nariakira, daimyô of Satsuma han, is born (d. 1858).
- Ueda Akinari, poet, scholar, and writer, dies (b. 1734).
- Yoda Manzai Yorikatsu of Shin-musô Hayashi-zaki-ryû dies.