From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Hôei 6 (宝永六年)
Timeline of 1709
- 1709/5/1 Tokugawa Ienobu receives his patent from Kyoto and is officially invested as Shogun.
- 1709/9/30 Arai Hakuseki reads a letter formally informing the shogunate of the death of Shô Tei, king of Ryûkyû. This is his first interaction with the Ryukyuan kingdom.
- 1709/11/18 Shô Eki succeeds Shô Tei as king of Ryûkyû.
- 1709/11/25 Shuri castle burns down (rebuilt by 1714).
Other Events of 1709
- A famine strikes in Ryûkyû; over 3000 die.
- The Imperial Palace in Kyoto is rebuilt after a fire the previous year.
- Kano Nobuka returns from exile and takes the name Hanabusa Itchô.
- Nishikawa Jôken's Ka'i tsûshô kô, first published 1695, is reissued in a revised five-volume version.
- Ôgata Kôrin returns to Kyoto, and begins collaborating more closely with his brother Kenzan.
Births and Deaths
- 1709/1/10 Shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi dies of smallpox (b. 1646).
- 1709/2 Midaidokoro Takatsukasa Nobuko dies.
- 1709/7/13 Shô Tei, king of Ryûkyû, dies.
- 1709/10 Tokugawa Yoshizane dies.
- Emperor Higashiyama dies (b. 1675).
- Sakata Tôjûrô I dies (b. 1646).
- Tokugawa Ietsugu is born (d. 1716).