In 1571, Maeda Toshiie came to Noto leading the advance guard of Oda Nobunaga's forces; he seized the castle and claimed it as his own. Toshiie submitted to the authority of Uesugi Kenshin following Kenshin's invasion of Noto and the fall of Nanao to his forces; having declared his loyalty to Kenshin, Toshiie was left in control of the castle.
Lords of Nanao castle
- Hatakeyama Mitsuyoshi (c. 1394-1427 - ?)
- Hatakeyama Yoshimoto (? - 1514?)
- Hatakeyama Yoshifusa (1526-1545)
- Maeda Toshiie (1571-?)
- Hatakeyama Yoshinori (? - 1577)
- Yusa Tsugumitsu (c. 1577 - 1581)
- Terada Shôichi (ed.) Meijô wo aruku 2: Kanazawa-jô. Tokyo: PHP Kenkyûsho, 2002.