From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Meiji 45 (明治四十五年) / Taishô 1 (大正元年)
Timeline of 1912
- 1912/1/1 Sun Yat-Sen takes the oath of office as the first Provisional President of the Republic of China.
- 1912/2/14 Yuan Shikai is elected Provisional President of the Republic of China.
- 1912/3/27 Helen Herron Taft and Viscountess Chinda (wife of the Japanese Ambassador to the US) plant two cherry trees on the Tidal Basin in Washington DC.
Other Events of 1912
- The sixth Bunten is held.
- Emperor Taishô ascends to the throne.
- Karafuto Shrine is established.
- The film "Ôishi Azumakudari" is released.
- A major exhibition of work by the sculptor Rodin is held in Tokyo.
- The Battle of Tsushima Between the Japanese and Russian Fleets, fought on 27th. May 1905 by Commander Vladimir Semenoff is published.
- Publication begins of the katsuji (moveable type) version of Tsûkô ichiran (pub. completed 1913).
- "Mainland" system of democratic participation in electing representatives for the National Diet is extended to Okinawa prefecture.
- Puyi, the last emperor of China, formally abdicates.
- Three thousand twenty cherry trees are shipped from Yokohama to Seattle, and then from there to Washington DC.
Births and Deaths
- 1912/7/30 Emperor Meiji dies (b. 1852).
- General Nogi Maresuke and his wife commit junshi seppuku.
- Historian Nishiyama Matsunosuke is born.