From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Kansei 6 (寛政六年)
Timeline of 1794
Other Events of 1794
- A Dutch embassy enjoys an audience with the Qianlong Emperor.
- The courtesan Hanaôgi attempts to escape the Yoshiwara and elope with a man, but is caught and returned to her teahouse.
- The office of the Nagasaki bugyô tests firearms as part of its routine efforts to maintain and improve harbor defense. Twenty-four out of 35 weapons tested malfunction.
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands is conquered by France and becomes a client-state known as the Batavian Republic.
- The shogunate bans the use of mica and certain other lavish materials in popular artworks.
- The shogunate bans kabuki actors from having annual salaries above 500 ryô.
Births and Deaths
- Ii Naoaki, daimyô of Hikone han, is born (d. 1850).
- Mizuno Tadakuni is born (d. 1851).
- Traveler Momoi Tou dies.
- Commodore Matthew Perry is born (d. 1858).
- Shô Boku, king of Ryûkyû, dies.
- Yamanouchi Toyosuke is born (d. 1872).