From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Meiwa 8 (明和八年)
Timeline of 1771
- 1771/3 A tsunami strikes Yonaguni Island. Roughly 10,000 are killed in the Miyako and Yaeyama Islands.
Other Events of 1771
- Mauritius Augustus Count de Benyowsky of Hungary lands on Amami Ôshima.
- The Naitô Shinjuku post-station is reopened after being closed for several decades.
- Nakasu entertainment district in Edo is established.
- Sugita Genpaku and two others observe a dissection of a human body, with a Dutch book as a guide. This is particularly significant not simply because it allows the Japanese Rangaku scholars to confirm the accuracy of Dutch science, but also because it confirms for them that European and Japanese bodies are essentially the same - i.e. that Europeans are no less human than Japanese, and are not remarkably different in their anatomy.
- The Yoshiwara burns down.