From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Shôhô 4 (正保四年)
Timeline of 1647
- 1647/6/24 - Two Portuguese ships arrive in Nagasaki harbor requesting trade. Their efforts to re-establish relations with Japan are ultimately rejected.
- 1647/8/6 - The two Portuguese ships depart Nagasaki after being ordered to do so. Ten han (domains) send a total of 30,000 troops and 20,000 corvée laborers (boatmen) to contribute to the defense of the port.
Other Events of 1647
- A camel is brought to Japan for the first time, by the Dutch East India Company.
- The Dutch East India Company presents a painted peepbox (a marvel of optics for Japan at that time) to Shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu.
- A royal monopoly system is established for the sale of sugar and turmeric (ukon) in Ryûkyû, helping to allow the king to repay loans to Satsuma han.
Births and Deaths