From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Keichô 9 (慶長九年)
Timeline of 1604
- 1604/8 The Hôkoku Festival, a seven-day celebration of the heritage of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, is held in Kyoto.
- 1604/12 A group of Korean envoys, led by Samyeongdang and Son Munik, arrive in Korea, along with Sô Yoshitoshi and his entourage, after meeting with Yoshitoshi and other Tsushima han officials on Tsushima. The Koreans are given space to stay at the Kyoto temple Honpô-ji.
Other Events of 1604
- The itowappu system is established, by which the Tokugawa shogunate grants monopolistic privileges in certain aspects of commerce to select Japanese and Portuguese merchants.
- Shimazu Yoshihisa detains a group of Ryukyuan castaways who became shipwrecked in the Koshiki Islands off Satsumasendai.
- The shogunate issues the first shuinjô (vermillion seal licenses) to authorize traders' activities in Southeast Asia, Korea, and elsewhere.
- The shogunate issues edicts formally announcing the beginnings of plans to assimilate and annex Ezo (Hokkaidô). The Matsumae clan of Matsumae han, the only domain on the island, is granted exclusive trading rights with the Ainu in exchange for undertaking various responsibilities regarding the administration of the island and its native inhabitants.
- The Godaidô at the temple of Zuiganji at Matsushima is rebuilt.
Births and Deaths