From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Jôkyû 3 (承久三年)
Timeline of 1221
- 1221/4/20 Emperor Juntoku is forced to abdicate and is succeeded by Emperor Chûkyô.
- 1221/5/19 Hôjô Masako speeches in front of retainers.(Kamakura)
- 1221/6/16 Hôjô Yasutoki and Hôjô Tokifusa become Rokuhara Tandai, stationed in Rokuhara in Kyoto to watch over the Imperial court.
- 1221/7/09 Emperor Chûkyô is replaced by Emperor Go-Horikawa and exiled to Sado.
Other Events of 1221
- 1221/5/14 Retired Emperor Go-Toba gathers warriors at Kyoto.
- 1221/5/15 Fujiwara no Hideyasu leads a raid on the home of Kyoto shugo Iga Mitsusue.
- 1221/5/19 Shogunate receives notification of the beginnings of violence in Kyoto.
- 1221/5/21 Shogunal forces are dispatched to Kyoto.
- 1221/6/05 Takeda Nobumitsu leads 50,000 shogunate warriors to victory against 2000 under Ôuchi Korenobu near the Ôido crossing.
- 1221/6/06 Shogunal forces under Hôjô Tokifusa and Hôjô Yasutoki rout Imperial forces at Sunomata.
- 1221/6/13-14 Imperial forces defeated at Third Battle of Uji. Kyoto falls soon afterwards to shogunate forces, and many mansions of samurai and kuge are destroyed.
- 1221/7 Emperor Go-Toba is exiled to Oki Island.
Births and Deaths of 1221