From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Kansei 10 (寛政十年)
Timeline of 1798
- 1798/5/1 Shogun Tokugawa Ieharu views from his beach palace a whale which, following torrential rains in previous days, had become disoriented and made its way into Edo Bay.
Other Events of 1798
- Lightning strikes the Great Buddha Hall of Kyoto's Hôkô-ji, setting it aflame. The Hall, and the Kyôto Daibutsu (Great Buddha statue) within are destroyed.
- The Hôshô school of Noh publishes its first utai-bon.
- Morishima Chûryô finishes compiling his Bango-sen ("Lexicon of the Barbarian Language"), a Japanese-Dutch dictionary.
- The National Academy (Kokugaku) and Hiragakkô-jo schools are established in Shuri.
Births and Deaths