From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Jishô 4 (治承四年)
Timeline of 1180
- 1180/2 Ôwada no tomari is constructed in what is now Kobe harbor.
- 1180/4/22 Taira no Kiyomori names his 2-year old grandson Antoku titular emperor after Emperor Takakura abdicates.
- 1180/4/29? A whirlwind strikes Kyoto, destroying many homes.
- 1180/6/2 The seat of Imperial power is moved to Fukuhara, as the result of pressure by Taira no Kiyomori.
- 1180/11 The Imperial capital is moved back to Heian-kyô (Kyoto) from Fukuhara.
- 1180/11 Samurai-dokoro is established, with Wada Yoshimori as its first head.
Gempei War (1180-1185)
- 1180/4/9 Imperial Prince Mochihito issues a call to arms against the Taira. The Gempei War begins.
- 1180/5/26 Minamoto no Yorimasa and the warrior monks of Mt. Hiei are defeated at Uji Bridge by Taira no Tomomori and Shigehira (First Battle of Uji).
- 1180/8/17 Minamoto no Yoritomo declares war on the Taira and raises troops in the Kantô. He attacks and kills Taira no Kanetaka.
- 1180/8/23 Yoritomo is defeated in the Battle of Ishibashiyama and is forced to flee.
- 1180/9 Yoritomo joins up with Kiso no Yoshinaka.
- 1180/9/7 Yoshinaka raises troops.
- 1180/10/20 The battle of Fujigawa ends in the retreat of Taira no Koremori and his forces.
- 1180/10/21 Yoritomo meets Minamoto no Yoshitsune at the Kiso river.
- 1180/11/7 A new Taira force travels east.
Other Events of 1180
- Japanese dictionary "Iroha Jirui Sho" 3 volumes completed.
Births and Deaths
- Taira no Kanetaka is killed by Minamoto no Yoritomo.
- Minamoto no Yorimasa commits suicide at the battle of Uji.
- Prince Mochihito flees from the battle of Uji, but is captured and beheaded by the Taira.
- The Hôjôki gives this as a rough date. "... the fourth month and about the twenty-ninth day..." (A.L. Sadler. The Ten Foot Square Hut and Tales of the Heike. Charles E. Tuttle Company, printing/year unknown. p3.)