The Kiyomizu Kannon-dô is a Buddhist temple in Tokyo's Ueno Park. An Important Cultural Property, it was also a popular subject of ukiyo-e woodblock prints in the Edo period.
It was established in 1631 by Tenkai, the founder of Kan'ei-ji. Modeled after Kiyomizu-dera in Kyoto, the temple was originally located on the other side of Suribachiyama (Suribachi Hill), but it was moved to its current location in 1694. The main hall is four by five bays (ma) in size, and roofed with tile. Considerable repairs and renovations were undertaken in 1990-1996, during which time much about the history of the building was discovered.
The chief object of worship is a hidden Buddha statue of the Thousand-Armed Kannon, previously located at Kiyomizu-dera. Normally hidden from view, the Kannon is shown to the public once a year, on the first Horse day of each February. A secondary object of worship is of Kosodate Kannon, a patron deity of safe childbirth and child-rearing.
- Plaques on-site.