From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Tenmei 3 (天明三年)
Timeline of 1783
- 1783/7/5 Mt. Asama erupts; casualties are estimated at over 20,000. The event exacerbates and prolongs the Great Tenmei Famine.
- 1783/autumn - A deputy manager of the Echigoya buys out the contract of Segawa VI of the Matsubaya teahouse for 1,500 ryô.
Other Events of 1783
- Shiba Kôkan becomes the first Japanese to produce copperplate engraving prints.
- Tsutaya Jûzaburô buys out fellow publisher Moriya Kohei, and moves his shop from just outside the Yoshiwara to Toriabura-chô, the heart of Edo's publishing district.
Births and Deaths
- 1783/4/6 Chôshû retainer Murata Seifû born.
- 1783/5/12 Gesaku writer Ryûtei Tanehiko born.
- 1783/9/26 Matsudaira Nariatsu born.
- 1783/11/23 Mathematician Arima Yoriyuki dies.
- 1783/12/25 Yosa Buson dies (b. 1716).
- Onoe Kikugorô I dies (b. 1717).
- Swordsman Shirai Tôru is born.