Changes

41 bytes added ,  19:07, 4 July 2014
no edit summary
Line 27: Line 27:  
Records from the time indicate that when the castle was rebuilt in [[1672]], following a [[1660]] fire, the roofs were tiled where they had been previously covered in wooden shingles, as a precautionary measure towards better fire-proofing. Archaeological excavations, however, have found both Korean and Japanese roof tiles dating to before this fire, indicating that at least some sections of the castle bore tiled roofs much earlier<ref name=shimpo>Okinawa Compact Encyclopedia.</ref>. The castle burned again and was rebuilt in [[1690]], [[1709]]<ref>Kerr. p221.</ref>, and [[1730]]. Considerable repair work was done in [[1837]], but the castle would not suffer destruction again until 1945.<ref name=loo>Loo, Tze M. “Shuri Castle’s Other History: Architecture and Empire in Okinawa.” The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus 41 (12 Oct 2009).</ref>
 
Records from the time indicate that when the castle was rebuilt in [[1672]], following a [[1660]] fire, the roofs were tiled where they had been previously covered in wooden shingles, as a precautionary measure towards better fire-proofing. Archaeological excavations, however, have found both Korean and Japanese roof tiles dating to before this fire, indicating that at least some sections of the castle bore tiled roofs much earlier<ref name=shimpo>Okinawa Compact Encyclopedia.</ref>. The castle burned again and was rebuilt in [[1690]], [[1709]]<ref>Kerr. p221.</ref>, and [[1730]]. Considerable repair work was done in [[1837]], but the castle would not suffer destruction again until 1945.<ref name=loo>Loo, Tze M. “Shuri Castle’s Other History: Architecture and Empire in Okinawa.” The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus 41 (12 Oct 2009).</ref>
   −
The castle was occupied by [[Imperial Japanese Army|Imperial Japanese forces]], specifically the [[Kumamoto Garrison]]<!--熊本鎮台分遣隊兵営--> in [[1876]]<ref name=loo/>, after the kingdom was abolished and replaced with [[Ryukyu han|Ryûkyû han]] in [[1872]]. The abolition of Ryûkyû ''han'' in [[1879]] and establishment of [[Okinawa prefecture]] was the final nail in the coffin for the Ryûkyû Kingdom.
+
The kingdom was abolished and replaced with [[Ryukyu han|Ryûkyû han]] in [[1872]]; the abolition of Ryûkyû ''han'' in turn and establishment of [[Okinawa prefecture]] in [[1879]] was the final nail in the coffin for the Ryûkyû Kingdom. The castle was occupied by [[Imperial Japanese Army|Imperial Japanese forces]], specifically the [[Kumamoto Garrison]]<!--熊本鎮台分遣隊兵営-->, immediately upon being vacated by the former king and his court.  
    
The Kumamoto Garrison was removed from Shuri castle in [[1896]], and [[1899|three years later]], Shuri Ward petitioned the national government to convert the castle grounds into leisure space, citing the then-popular Victorian idea of the association of public leisure space with social progress. The petition argued that Okinawa Prefecture had failed to provide public leisure space in accordance with policies being implemented throughout mainland Japan, and that it would be most regrettable if the castle were to sink into further disrepair and delapidation due to abandonment. Shuri Ward requested ownership/administration of the castle grounds, but was refused. The following year, the [[Home Ministry]] agreed to sell the castle buildings to the Ward, but only leased the land for a thirty-year period, retaining control/ownership. Shuri Ward was finally permitted to buy the land outright in [[1909]].<ref name=loo/>
 
The Kumamoto Garrison was removed from Shuri castle in [[1896]], and [[1899|three years later]], Shuri Ward petitioned the national government to convert the castle grounds into leisure space, citing the then-popular Victorian idea of the association of public leisure space with social progress. The petition argued that Okinawa Prefecture had failed to provide public leisure space in accordance with policies being implemented throughout mainland Japan, and that it would be most regrettable if the castle were to sink into further disrepair and delapidation due to abandonment. Shuri Ward requested ownership/administration of the castle grounds, but was refused. The following year, the [[Home Ministry]] agreed to sell the castle buildings to the Ward, but only leased the land for a thirty-year period, retaining control/ownership. Shuri Ward was finally permitted to buy the land outright in [[1909]].<ref name=loo/>
contributor
26,975

edits