Changes

From SamuraiWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
2,634 bytes added ,  15:48, 11 July 2014
Created page with "*''Established: 1689'' *''Japanese'': 唐人屋敷 ''(Toujin yashiki)'' The ''Tôjin yashiki'', or "Chinamen's mansions," was a compound in Nagasaki built by the [[To..."
*''Established: [[1689]]''
*''Japanese'': 唐人屋敷 ''(Toujin yashiki)''

The ''Tôjin yashiki'', or "Chinamen's mansions," was a compound in [[Nagasaki]] built by the [[Tokugawa shogunate]] to serve as residences and a base of operations for [[Chinese in Nagasaki|Chinese merchants]] in the city.

The walled compound served a similar function to the tiny [[VOC|Dutch East India Company]] settlement on [[Dejima]], but was about twice the size, covering roughly seven acres. Surrounded by palisades and a moat, the compound included residences, offices, and warehouses, and housed on average 2,000 Chinese merchants and sailors, though the number rose to nearly 5,000 at times. While some Chinese residents of the city recognized as full members of Japanese society (a pre-modern equivalent to naturalized citizens, or perhaps resident aliens) were subject to the same restrictions as any Japanese commoner - free to move about the city and the archipelago, but forbidden from going overseas<ref>Tessa Morris-Suzuki, ''Re-Inventing Japan: Time, Space, Nation'', M.E. Sharpe (1998), 83.</ref> - those associated with the ''Tôjin yashiki'' were prohibited from leaving the compound or moving freely about the city except to go to and from the ships, and to engage in authorized interactions with Japanese merchants. Like the Dutch, but unlike very nearly all Japanese, the Chinese associated with the merchant compound were permitted, however, to travel overseas and return to Japan.

Chinese had been permitted to move more freely up until the late 17th century, when in [[1689]], in response to a rise in smuggling activities,<ref>Mizuno Norihito, “China in Tokugawa Foreign Relations: The Tokugawa Bakufu’s Perception of and Attitudes toward Ming-Qing China,” ''Sino-Japanese Studies'' 15 (2003), 140n181.</ref> the ''Tôjin yashiki'' compound was constructed and the Chinese were restricted to it, as the Dutch were on Dejima. No women were permitted in the compound, with the exception of [[courtesans]] from the [[Maruyama]] pleasure district; the courtesans were also the only Japanese permitted in the district other than shogunate officials. Though permitted to stay overnight on Dejima, the courtesans were not permitted to do so in the Chinese compound. The compound was also provided with a supply of pork, from pigs raised just outside the city.<ref>Herbert Plutschow, ''A Reader in Edo Period Travel'', Kent: Global Oriental (2006), 47.</ref>

==References==
*Robert Hellyer, ''Defining Engagement'', Harvard University Press (2009), 55-56.
<references/>

[[Category:Edo Period]]
[[Category:Historic Buildings]]
contributor
26,979

edits

Navigation menu