From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Jôô 4 (承応四年) / Meireki 1 (明暦元年)
Timeline of 1655
- 1655/1/20 Bakufu bans flying kites within Edo.
- 1655/3 Construction of Nobidome waterway completed.
- 1655/4/13 The Meireki era begins.
- 1655/6/26 Tamura Gonzaemon starts Kutani pottery.
- 1655/10/13 The shogunate issues the Edo machijû sadamegaki, a set of codes regarding merchants' and artisans' behaviors.
- 1655/11/28 Emperor Go-Sai ascends to the Chrysanthemum Throne.
Other Events of 1655
- A Korean embassy journeys to Edo, and is the last to visit Nikkô Tôshôgû.
- The itowappu system is abolished; free trade in silk resumes.
Births and Deaths
- 1655/6/25 Suzuki Shôsan, samurai and Zen monk, dies (b. 1579).
- 1655/11/20 Ukita Hideie, one of the Go-Tairô, dies (b. 1572).
- Indô Yorimori, defector to Eastern Army at Sekigahara, dies (b. 1568).
- Hotta Masayasu, daimyô of Ômimiyagawa and Yoshii han, is born (d. 1731).
- Kyôgoku Takatoyo, lord of Marugame han, is born (d. 1694).