Difference between revisions of "Banshoin"

From SamuraiWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
Line 11: Line 11:
 
A lengthy set of stone stairs known as ''[[gangi|hyakugangi]]'' leads up to three levels of gravesites. About halfway up the stairs are the "lower mausoleum" (''shimo otamaya'') and "central mausoleum," or ''naka otamaya'', spaces where Sô Sadakuni and other earlier lords of Tsushima are buried alongside their wives and children, and a number of wives and children of later lords. At the top of the stairs is the "upper mausoleum," or ''kami otamaya'', where the Edo period lords, from Sô Yoshitoshi through to 20th century heads of the family such as Count [[So Takeyuki|Sô Takeyuki]] ([[1908]]-1985; grandson of second-to-last lord of the domain [[So Yoshiyori|Sô Yoshiyori]]), are buried alongside a number of their wives and children. Another separate graveyard is maintained on the western side of the temple; a number of other people born into or related to the Sô house are buried there.
 
A lengthy set of stone stairs known as ''[[gangi|hyakugangi]]'' leads up to three levels of gravesites. About halfway up the stairs are the "lower mausoleum" (''shimo otamaya'') and "central mausoleum," or ''naka otamaya'', spaces where Sô Sadakuni and other earlier lords of Tsushima are buried alongside their wives and children, and a number of wives and children of later lords. At the top of the stairs is the "upper mausoleum," or ''kami otamaya'', where the Edo period lords, from Sô Yoshitoshi through to 20th century heads of the family such as Count [[So Takeyuki|Sô Takeyuki]] ([[1908]]-1985; grandson of second-to-last lord of the domain [[So Yoshiyori|Sô Yoshiyori]]), are buried alongside a number of their wives and children. Another separate graveyard is maintained on the western side of the temple; a number of other people born into or related to the Sô house are buried there.
  
While the main gate of the temple survives from the early Edo period, the remaining buildings in the grounds were destroyed by fires in the 18th or 19th century; the main hall and priestly residence standing today date to [[1880]].
+
While the main gate of the temple survives from the early Edo period, the remaining buildings in the grounds were destroyed by fires in the 18th or 19th century. The main hall and priestly residence standing today date to [[1880]], while the Niô-dô ([[Nio|Niô]] Halls) date to [[1737]].
  
 
{{stub}}
 
{{stub}}

Latest revision as of 09:00, 25 July 2022

The Main Gate of Banshô-in
The hyakugangi steps leading up to the Sô clan family cemetery
  • Established: 1615
  • Other Names: 松音寺 (Shou on ji)
  • Japanese: 万松院 (Banshouin)

Banshôin in Izuhara, on Tsushima Island, is the family temple (bodaiji) of the Sô clan, lords of Tsushima domain. Sô Sadakuni (r. 1468-1492) and all Edo period lords from Sô Yoshitoshi (r. 1588-1615) onwards are buried there.

Yoshitoshi was the first to be buried there (in 1615), on a site to the west of Kaneishi castle, the primary seat of the domain. The temple established to accompany the cemetery was initially named Shôon-ji, but was renamed Banshô-in, after Yoshitoshi's posthumous Buddhist name, when it was made the Sô clan's family temple in 1621.

A lengthy set of stone stairs known as hyakugangi leads up to three levels of gravesites. About halfway up the stairs are the "lower mausoleum" (shimo otamaya) and "central mausoleum," or naka otamaya, spaces where Sô Sadakuni and other earlier lords of Tsushima are buried alongside their wives and children, and a number of wives and children of later lords. At the top of the stairs is the "upper mausoleum," or kami otamaya, where the Edo period lords, from Sô Yoshitoshi through to 20th century heads of the family such as Count Sô Takeyuki (1908-1985; grandson of second-to-last lord of the domain Sô Yoshiyori), are buried alongside a number of their wives and children. Another separate graveyard is maintained on the western side of the temple; a number of other people born into or related to the Sô house are buried there.

While the main gate of the temple survives from the early Edo period, the remaining buildings in the grounds were destroyed by fires in the 18th or 19th century. The main hall and priestly residence standing today date to 1880, while the Niô-dô (Niô Halls) date to 1737.

References

  • James Lewis, Frontier Contact between Choson Korea and Tokugawa Japan, Routledge (2003), 95.
  • Explanatory plaques on-site.[1][2]