From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Meiji 18 (明治十八年)
Timeline of 1885
- 1885/2/8 Nine-hundred forty-four Japanese immigrants on board the ship City of Tokio arrive in the Hawaiian Islands.
- 1885/6/17 The Yamashiro Maru delivers 989 Japanese laborers to Hawaii.
Other Events of 1885
- A conference is held in Tokyo, where revision of the Unequal Treaties is discussed.
- The sixth Exhibition of Old Art includes new works for the first time.
- Government-contracted immigration of Japanese to Hawaii begins.
- Japan exhibits at the 1885 New Orleans World's Fair.
- Repair efforts are undertaken at Nijô castle.
- Saigô Tsugumichi becomes Minister of the Navy.
- The Sino-French War comes to an end.
- Three girls are enrolled in elementary school in Okinawa, setting a precedent for women's education.
Births and Deaths
- Iwasaki Yatarô of Mitsubishi Trading House dies (b. 1834).
- Ulysses S. Grant dies (b. 1822).
- Painter Yorozu Tetsugorô is born (d. 1927).