From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Meiji 13 (明治十三年)
Timeline of 1880
- 1880/3/9 Tokyo agrees to Peking's proposal to meet to negotiate a peaceful solution to the dispute over sovereignty over Ryûkyû.
- 1880/4/17 Tokyo agrees to send its representatives to Peking, in light of China's refusal to send its representatives to Tokyo.
- 1880/8-10 Representatives of China and Japan meet in Peking.
- 1880/10/21 Negotiations reach an agreement, including Japanese recognition of Chinese sovereignty over the southernmost islands - Miyako and Yaeyama - in exchange for China granting Japan Most Favored Nation status. The Chinese ratification of the treaty is delayed.
Other Events of 1880
- Kubota castle is destroyed by fire.
- Matsudaira Katamori becomes the chief priest of Nikkô Tôshôgû.
- Ôkuma Shigenobu suggests a loan of 50 million yen be sought; Emperor Meiji issues an Imperial Rescript opposing any loans from foreign powers.