From SamuraiWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Ansei 3 (安政三年)
Timeline of 1856
- 1856/1/4 Treaty of Peace and Amity is signed between the Netherlands and Japan.
- 1856/8 Henry Heusken arrives in Japan.
- 1856/11 Atsu-hime formally enters Edo castle as the shogun's wife.
- 1856/12/18 Shogun Tokugawa Iesada and Atsu-hime are formally married.
Other Events of 1856
- The shogunate establishes the kôbusho.
- The Ryûkyû Kingdom's New Year's mission to Kagoshima, led by Tonaki ueekata, encounters difficulty on its way to Kagoshima and is rescued by an American fishing boat and returned to Naha.
- Commodore Matthew Perry presents his Narrative of the Expedition of an American Squadron to the China Seas and Japan to Congress.
- The Second Opium War breaks out (ends 1860).
- The Yôgakusho (Bureau of Western Studies) is renamed the Bansho Shirabesho (Institute for the Study of Western Books).
Births and Deaths
- 1856/7/12 Ogasawara Tadaakira, lord of Kokura han, dies.
- Yôga painter Asai Chû is born (d. 1907).
- Confucian scholar Hirose Tansô dies (b. 1782).
- Ninomiya Sontoku dies (b. 1787).