Keichô 13 (慶長十三年)
Timeline of 1608
Other Events of 1608
- The golden tea room of Fushimi castle is moved to Kyoto.
- Iwakuni castle is built by Kikkawa Hiroie.
- Shimazu Iehisa issues the Ryûkyû tokai no gunshû go-hatto no jôjô, a series of orders or policies for his retainers to observe in their invasion of Ryûkyû the following year.
- Saga-bon begin to be published.
- Construction is begun on the Takasegawa canal in Kyoto (completed 1611).
- The telescope is invented in Holland.
- Tokugawa Ieyasu orders kabuki out of Suruga province.
- The Vatican reverses an earlier papal bull which had granted the Society of Jesus exclusive authority to proselytize in Japan; all Catholic orders are now permitted to do so.
Births and Deaths
- Kanô Mitsunobu, painter, dies (b. 1561).
- Koriki Kiyonaga, bugyô of Mikawa, dies (b. 1530).
- Nakae Tôjû is born (d. 1648).
- Sanada Masayuki dies (b. 1544).
- Tokugawa Tadayoshi dies (b. 1580).
- Torii Tadaharu is born (d. 1651).
- Yashiro Kageyori, Date clan retainer, dies (b. 1561).