Myôkenji is one of the chief temples of Nichiren Buddhism, and was founded in 1321 by Nichizô Shônin, a disciple of a disciple of Nichiren himself. It was the first Nichiren temple to be established in Kyoto, and received special recognition and rank from Emperor Go-Daigo in 1334.
It was not always on its current site, however. It was moved from its original location, near Nishitôin Nijô, to the current site in 1593, on the orders of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. The temple burned down in the Great Temmei Fire in 1788, and was rebuilt in 1834; it is that 1834 reconstruction which still stands today. The graves of Ogata Kôrin and Ogata Kenzan can be found in the sub-temple Senmyôin nearby, while the main temple holds in its vaults a number of famous works by Kôrin (and presumably by his brother as well).
- Plaques on-site.