Kansei 5 (寛政五年)
Timeline of 1793
- 1793/7 Matsudaira Sadanobu resigns as head of the rôjû.
- 1793/8/10 First formal British embassy to China: George Lord Macartney is granted an audience with the Qianlong Emperor.
- 1793/9/18 Daikokuya Kôdayû and the sailor Isokichi, castaways returning from Russia, are interrogated in an audience with Shogun Tokugawa Ienari.
Other Events of 1793
- Hokusai leaves the Katsukawa school, or is expelled according to some accounts.
- Matsudaira Taira, son of Matsudaira Norimori, lord of Iwamura han, becomes the head of the Hayashi clan and takes on the name Hayashi Jussai.
- The shogunate seeks to import a camel, but the endeavor is deemed too expensive.
- The shogunate grants a permit for entry to Nagasaki harbor to Adam Laxman, as representative of Russia.
- Santô Kyôden opens a tobacconist's shop in the Kyôbashi district of Edo.
Births and Deaths
- Kansei 4/12 Ukiyo-e artist Katsukawa Shunshô dies (b. 1726).
- 1793/12 Baigyô-in, wife of Ii Naohide, dies.
- Hayashi Shihei dies (b. 1738).
- Ôshio Heihachirô is born (d. 1837).
- Takayama Hikokurô commits suicide (b. 1747).
- Shogun Tokugawa Ieyoshi is born (d. 1853).
- Watanabe Kazan is born (d. 1841).